I’m not going to lie, I’ve only had one experience of trying on bridal dresses to date. However, even though it was very fun, it wasn’t exactly what I was expecting. Here are the things I wish I’d known beforehand:
- Going with a hangover will be one if the worst decisions you’ve ever made.
- You might not have all the time in the world – check how long your appointment is before you go as you could be up against the clock.
- There probably won’t be champagne *sobs*
- You should definitely wear nude underwear. Preferably strapless.
- There will be lots of dresses that are way over budget. They should totally tell you before you start looking!
- Sample dresses are small.
- You’ll get asked about your weight loss plans.
- You probably won’t be able to take pictures.
- Never fake tan or wear heavy make up.
- You’ll feel like you’re playing dress up for the majority of the appointment.
- You’ll get lots of good ‘oooooohs’…
- And some not so good ‘hmmmms’.
- There may/may not be tears and either is fine.
- Stepping in and out of dresses in heels will seriously test your balance.
- You’ll want to try the massive meringue-y one on, even if it is just for fun!
- It might take a few people to get you into your dress and, as a result, they’ll see you pretty naked. Shave your legs.
- There’s nothing like trying on a veil to suddenly make everything feel real.
- The costs of a veil is enough to give you palpitations.
- Dresses look totally different on the hanger. Try them all on and take the advice of the shop assistants.
- It’s hard to get the full picture when you’re hair’s in a messy bun and you’ve still got a bit of last nights make up on.
- It can get very hot.
- Despite all of this, you’ll feel frickin’ amazing even if you don’t find the right one right there, right then.
- Your normal clothes will feel very boring afterwards.
Anything else I forgot to add?! Let me know @honest_bride.
Image from the movie Bridesmaids, but you all knew that anyways.